Search
Thursday 16 August 2018
  • :
  • :

What to Do In Case of a Bee Sting

Those tiny little buzzing insects, the bees are usually not aggressive and will not bite you unless they are provoked. That’s what differentiates them from their distant cousins, the wasps, with which they are often confused. Experts at Bee Busters have plenty of experience with bees and wasps alike, and here’s what they had to say.

One of the first steps in case of a being stung by a bee is to establish if that was actually a bee or a wasp, as this information can be crucial for the further treatment. If you are not allergic to bee sting, this shouldn’t be such a big deal and in most cases, it can be resolved by a home treatment without visiting a doctor.

But if you are, then it is more serious and requires immediate medical treatment. However, the most important thing is not to panic and remain calm. After that, here is what you can do.

Remove the Sting

The first thing you should do is remove the sting as soon as possible.

You can do this by using your fingernail or using a credit card. This will reduce the amount of toxins releasedinto your skin and thus mitigate the consequences.

After this, use water and soap to wash the stung spot. Applying ice to the sting site is one of the most effective ways to decrease the absorption of the toxins, and it also helps to reduce the swelling.

If necessary, you can take some pain relief drugs to ease the pain and apply remedies such as calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream which should relieve the itching, redness,and swelling.

In Case of Allergic Reaction

If you are allergic, then you need to get urgent medical help. If you have been diagnosed with a bee sting allergy, it would be good to have an epinephrine auto-injector which should be prescribed to you by your doctor.

It should instantly reduce the allergic response of your body. It is important to have it with you at all times, to replace the dose in case it expires, to know how to use it properly, and also to inform you friends and people around you about your allergy, the auto-injector and the instructions for its use.

Also, it would be good to have some kind of message or indication, such as alert bracelet in case none of your friends or family are around at the moment you get stung. All these things could be crucial to saving your life in case of anaphylactic shock.

 Consider Allergy Shots

If you have experienced an allergic reaction for the first time, especially without knowing you were allergic before, it would be good to consider allergy shots. Same goes if you have known about your allergy before.

This type of treatment can help you get rid of your allergy in the long term. Even if your allergic reactions have not been so severe, it is a good idea to visit a specialist, do an allergy test and consider the allergy shots treatment so you can be much calmer and safer in the future.

It is basically an immunotherapy which is to be taken regularly for a few years. Its task is to eliminate your body’s allergy response to the bee venom, or at least to reduce it to a manageable proportion. So in case you are allergic to bee stings, do ask your doctor about this type of treatment.

For most people, a bee sting is just an unpleasant experience which goes away quickly. However, there are those whose health and life might be threatened by these insects, so you should never take them lightly and deal with the potential problem as quickly as possible.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *