Although green spaces are regularly commandeered for urban developments this doesn’t mean that the small exterior space which many homes are left with should be neglected.
Urban garden design is about making the most of your inner-city town house or flat’s outdoor space and making it an inviting, stylish and verdant place to socialise, relax and grow plants and vegetables. Even if the space available permits just a few containers, this can provide a compact but spectacular display. Your windowsill can look as resplendent as rural idylls.
Urban gardens are often vertical. Shelves, tiers, green walls, balconies and external stairs can facilitate so many ideas which sticking at ground level won’t allow. Roof gardens are increasingly popular.
In France, they’ve erected multilevel greenhouses so that the growing potential is optimised for the community. They may appear here too.
Young designers are embracing urban design and at this year’s RHS Tatton Show where the next generation of professionals are given a platform, one popular design “The Live Garden” created by Dan Newbury & Martin Williams utilised vertical and horizontal space with attention to aesthetics, functionality and exceptional use of space.
Three tiers were available to populate with planting and the hard landscaping from the ground level paving slabs to the steps leading to the higher levels were artfully designed and accessible. The ideas used were perfect for show attendees to take away and apply in their own urban spaces.
Stone and gravel and paving slabs lend themselves to urban gardening and don’t forget that containers don’t have to be standard plastic pots; tyres, buckets or any receptacle you have lying around brings individuality and reflects your personality.
Paving slabs, stone and gravel suppliers, including Rivar Sand and Gravel, have a wide variety of options to choose from, below are just a few suggestions.
Stone and gravel:
- 20mm chippings.
- Angular and buff-yellow, summery.
- Traditional, charming and exquisite.
- Cotswold Chippings are slightly crumbly.
Green Basalt Gravel:
- Sophisticated decorative gravel in deep green hues.
- 20mm angular stone and gravel product.
- Comprised of hardwearing and versatile granite.
- This is captivating Thames Valley Flint quarried in the Thatcham and Newbury areas.
- Available in 10mm or 20mm options.
- Black, white, brown and grey chippings.
- The 10mm features fewer brown stones.
- Angular, eye catching and hardwearing.
Granite paving slabs
- From the Global Stone range.
- Enduring, enchanting and classic appearance.
- Graphite grey.
- Mixed sized paving slabs in project packs to cover 13.4 metres squared.
Global Stone’s Artisan Mirage paving slabs in Aurora
- Delicate buff through to pink hues.
- Project packs cover 13.65 metres squared.
- Varied slab sizes.
- Contemporary finish.
- Use indoors and outside for continuity.
Neptune limestone paving slabs
- Another Global Stone product.
- Timeless appeal.
- Popular with professional designers.
- Natural veining and exceptional shading.
- Project packs cover 7.2 metres squared with mixed paving slab sizes.
Why not place a granite bench against a green wall?
- 450mm X 1200mm X 400mm.
- Grey tones.
- Natural patterns and veining.
- Opulent and unique appearance.
Let your imagination run wild. Small space needn’t mean small inspiration.